Our church has been working with Booker Banda and his team for the last 5 years. We’ve joined in with what All Nations Church Bedford have been doing in Malawi for much longer through Richard Green. Booker leads a church in Lilongwe (the capital city), and has planted over 200 other churches, many into rural contexts in Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia. Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world. It is mainly peaceful, but there are currently some pockets of unrest, protesting at election results and government corruption.
Seeing people so full of genuine joy despite poverty and difficulties; seeing people responding to the gospel and participating in their vibrant worship. We opened a new well (bore hole) that was paid for jointly from our Christmas offering in 2018 and with money from All Nations in Bedford. It is in a remote village where Booker has been working for many years and continues to work closely with believers there. Previously they had a long walk to an unsafe water source, but now there’s clean safe water in the village which may also help improve agriculture too.
Poverty – food shortages of varying severity seem to be an annual problem somewhere in Malawi. Also finding leaders for many church plants – I’ve heard of leaders being appointed because they’re the only believer in the village who can read so they’re the only one able to read the Bible. Travelling to support the church plants is also a challenge, both practically and financially. With that in mind, in partnership with All Nations Church Bedford, we have purchased Booker a Toyota Hilux which we also help maintain. He affectionately refers to it as “the Lord’s Donkey”!
– Please pray to see Christian young people grow and take a Godly responsibility for their nation in business, politics and the community.
– Pray for truth and justice to prevail in the political scene.
– Pray for young leaders to grow strong in the church and stand for truth and grace.
– Pray for creativity in the church plants to raise finance and be self-supporting.
– Pray for Booker and his team to continue their work in good health and God’s favour.
– Pray for people and resources to continue planting and serving churches in remote areas.